Landlord Gas Safety Advice

Landlord Advice & Gas Safety

There are certain repairs which will almost always be a landlord’s responsibility, whether or not they are specifically mentioned in the tenancy agreement. These are:-

  • the structure and exterior of the premises (such as walls, floors and window frames) and the drains, gutters and external pipes. If the property is a house, the essential means to access to it, such as steps from the street, are also included in ‘structure and exterior’. Garden paths and steps are also included
  • water and gas pipes and electrical wiring (including, for example, taps and sockets)
  • basins, sinks, baths and toilets
  • fixed heaters (for example, gas fires) and water heaters but not gas or electric cookers.

In Scotland, most private landlords have to make sure their properties meet a certain standard, called the repairing standard.

As a landlord, you are legally responsible for the safety of your tenants in relation to gas safety. By law you must:

  • Repair and maintain gas pipe work, flues and appliances in safe condition
  • Ensure an annual gas safety check on each appliance and flue
  • Keep a record of each safety check

You should also keep your tenants informed about their responsibilities while they are staying in your property.


We take your responsibilities very seriously as we do you tenants safety, we keep a detailed record of your property's services / gas safety certificate due dates, as well as details of all your gas appliances and parts, this enables us to ensure that in the event of a breakdown we are able to minimise down time.
You will be contacted to remind you that your certificate is due to expire, then with your agreement we will contact your tenant and arrange an appointment to carry out the work required

Gas safe engineer banner

Gas Safe Register


Gas Safe Register is the official list of gas engineers who are qualified to work safely and legally on gas appliances. By law, all gas engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register. It replaced CORGI. Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix or service your appliances and always check the engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card.


Landlords are legally responsible for the safety of their tenants. Landlords should make sure maintenance and annual safety checks on gas appliances are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.  By law landlords must make sure:


  • pipe-work, appliances and flues provided for tenants are maintained in a safe condition
  • that all appliances and flues that they provide for tenants use have an annual safety check
  • that maintenance and annual safety checks are carried out by an engineer registered with Gas Safe Register
  • all gas equipment (including any appliance left by a previous tenant) is safe or otherwise removed before re-letting
  • a gas safety record is provided to the tenant within 28 days of completing the check or to any new tenant before they move in
  • they keep a copy of the gas safety record for two years
Before any gas work is carried out always check the engineers ID card and make sure the engineer is qualified for the work you need doing. Encourage your tenants to do the same

David Wells Heating & Plumbing are qualified to work on Natural Gas & LPG.

Call Us to arrange your Gas inspection 01460 259506